- Mock Dorm Room Fire - Watch how quickly a fire can consume an average on (or off) campus room.
- RAs Talk about Fire Safety - Cooking safety, egress safety, and fire equipment safety is discussed.
- The Alarming Truth
- Small fires can be extinguished without evacuation.
- In the event that a fire cannot be controlled, be ready to evacuate.
- Fire extinguishers should be used only by trained personnel.
You Should Never…
- Enter a smoke-filled room.
- Enter a room containing a fire without a back-up person.
- Enter a room if the top half of the door is warm to the touch.
What To Do
Small Fire (Laboratory)
- Alert people in the laboratory and activate the alarm
- Smother fire or use the correct fire extinguisher
- Aim the extinguisher at the base of fire
- Always maintain an accessible exit
- Avoid smoke or fumes
- Alert people in the area to evacuate
- Activate the nearest fire alarm
- Close doors to confine the fire
- Evacuate to a safe area or exit the building through stairwells; do not use the elevator
September is Campus Fire Safety Month. Every September, Pitt’s Environmental Health & Safety Department hosts a fire safety day where students, faculty and staff have a chance to learn more about fire prevention. Details are provided closer to the date on the EH&S website.
If you are disabled, call EH&S at 412-624-9505 to develop an individual emergency evacuation plan.