Mental Health Emergency

Warning signs of suicide:

Comments suggestive of wanting to die and feeling hopeless.

Active signs include direct statements about wanting to kill oneself or behavior such as giving away favorite possessions.

Passive signs may include statements such as: “I just want to sleep forever,” “I don’t care if I’m assaulted,” or “I don’t care if my car hits a tree.”

What to do:

Directly ask the student if he/she is feeling depressed or hopeless.

Directly ask the student if he/she feels like hurting his/herself.

If the answer is yes to either of these questions, refer the student to the University Counseling Center by calling 412–648–7930 immediately, while the student is still with you, to set up an appointment. If the student refuses, spend some more time examining his or her objections and if resistance is still present, contact the Counseling Center or the University of Pittsburgh Police Department (to access the Counseling Center) immediately. Do not hide your concern for the student, and allow the student to remain present when you make the call. Explain why you are concerned and how you feel professionals can be helpful. Be caring, honest, and direct in your communications.

Important Numbers

Pitt Police (Emergency): 412-624-2121

City of Pittsburgh Police: 911


re:solve Crisis Network provides mental health crisis intervention and stabilization services for residents of Allegheny County in Pennsylvania, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Report students of concern in a non-emergency to Pitt Student Affairs' Caring and Resources Support Group: 412-624-5756 or 412-648-1196 or

Counseling and coping resources for students

Counseling and coping resources for faculty/staff

Faculty and Staff Guide for Helping Distressed Students