When lockdown is necessary, a lockdown alarm will sound: “May I have your attention please; a security emergency has been reported. Remain in the building. Stand by for further instructions.”
Stay where you are! All exterior doors to campus buildings in lockdown will not allow people to ENTER the building. Persons may exit during lockdown but staying in place is strongly advised UNLESS you are in immediate danger inside the building. Use your good judgment.
Do not open doors for others during lockdown. Providing access for unknown persons puts yourself and others at risk.
- If you believe you are in the building with an active killer: Run, Hide, Fight.
- If you believe the active killer is in a different building: Remain in the building, find a location to barricade and prepare to fight. Silence devices. Be quiet. Do not congregate.
- If you are outside and cannot enter a building, move in a direction away from the incident. Do NOT stay and record near an incident. Move AWAY from the incident. Do not enter unknown buildings, restaurants, or retail shops until you are a significant distance from the known incident.
- If you are in a car or public transportation, leave campus and await further instructions or an “All clear.”
When law enforcement arrives on the scene:
- Phones down, hands up. Immediately raise hands and spread fingers.
- Remain calm and follow officers’ instructions.
- Avoid quick movements towards officers such as attempting to hold on to them for safety.
- Avoid pointing, screaming and/or yelling.