Employees of the Quarter
Last updated June 8
ISD Project Lead Technician Mark Waechter, Quarter 2
Mark Waechter started at the University of Pittsburgh as a guard in 2014 and worked at BST3, Western Psych, and Trees Hall. He transitioned to a technician with the Integrated Security Department in 2019, where he worked alongside the senior techs with installations and service.
Mark was heavily involved in the 2020 installation of just under 1,000 locks in the Quad, converting the offline locks to the ISD Wi-Fi locks. There was a limited amount of time to complete this project before the students came back and he played a large role in the success of that project.
In 2021, Mark worked with the Operations Manager to get the COVID stanchions working in the Academic buildings as part of Pitt’s Contact Tracing program. He was able to install and program them in a short amount of time.
This past year, Mark was the lead tech on the Assembly project. This was ISD’s largest installation project since Nordenberg Hall. Over 100 cameras, and over 200 locks were installed.
Mark has been instrumental in the success of many of ISD's projects. He is attentive and always willing to learn. He takes time during service calls to explain the issues to customers and completes assigned jobs accurately and timely. Due to Mark’s diligent work, he has recently been promoted to the ISD Project Lead Technician.
Mark has a Bachelors Degree in Criminology with a minor in Child Development & Family Relations from the Indiana University of Pennsylvania. He also has a Masters of Science in Safety, Security and Emergency Management from Eastern Kentucky University.
Mark Waechter stands with the placque honoring him as the Employee of the Quarter. With him are Todd Williams, left, the director of operations for the Integrated Security Department, and Commander Shawn Ellies, the director of security and emergency management.
Lieutenant Daniel Dunn, Quarter 1
The Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management proudly awards, Lieutenant Dan Dunn, the first Employee of the quarter for the 2022 year.
Dan is the regional Lieutenant at Johnstown’s campus. He has been with the department since December 2007. Dan is a solid, consistent performer for the department. He is reliable, knowledgeable and dedicated to meeting our core values and mission.
His recent involvement to restart a bicycle unit at Johnstown has been able to add additional patrolling to the campus. Dan also steps up to help on the shift when needed.
Not only is Dan a valued employee in our department but also an important member to the Pitt Community. His dedication and loyalty to the department and the University is much appreciated.
The criteria for an employee of the quarter is listed below:
- The employee has performed an act (or service) for a member of the Pitt community which exemplifies the Business and Operation’s mission to create a positive and memorable experience.
- The employee has consistently maintained a pattern of work performance that upholds the vision of Business and Operation via national recognition, innovation and/or sparkling service.
- The employee adheres to department and university policies and procedures.
- The employee provides courtesy customer service in every situation.
- The employee satisfies our mission statement in regards to serving the University community while practicing our core values of integrity, respect, service, and fairness.
- The employee actively promotes departmental initiatives.
- The employee consistently contributes ideas, in an effort to improve Public Safety's overall service to students, staff, faculty and the Oakland community.