Employees of the Quarter
Last updated September 1
The criteria for an employee of the quarter is listed below:
- The employee has performed an act (or service) for a member of the Pitt community which exemplifies the Business and Operation’s mission to create a positive and memorable experience.
- The employee has consistently maintained a pattern of work performance that upholds the vision of Business and Operation via national recognition, innovation and/or sparkling service.
- The employee adheres to department and university policies and procedures.
- The employee provides courtesy customer service in every situation.
- The employee satisfies our mission statement in regards to serving the University community while practicing our core values of integrity, respect, service, and fairness.
- The employee actively promotes departmental initiatives.
- The employee consistently contributes ideas, in an effort to improve Public Safety's overall service to students, staff, faculty and the Oakland community.
Previous Employees of the Quarter
2021 Employees of the Quarter
Patrick Laughlin 2021 - Quarter 1
The Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management proudly awards, Sergeant Patrick Laughlin, the first Employee of the Quarter for the 2021 year.
Pat has been with the department since September 2007. Commander Holler recently issued Pat a Letter of Appreciation that describes him best:
On behalf of the Command Staff, this letter is intended show our appreciation of your continuous hard work and dedication to our department.
Daily you go above and beyond your role within our department. You can be counted on to handle a variety of situations efficiently and effectively. You continue to be a driving force of good within our ranks and your leadership is dearly valued. On top of that, your consistent good nature and passion to do what is right is a model we can all learn from.
A short memo almost seems too minor of a way to show our gratitude and appreciation, but it is a message that needs to be delivered. With that being said, we will never underestimate your importance to our organization and your value is immense.
So, thank you for being you and please keep doing what you do!
Pat can be described a “go to guy” for our department and that combined with his personality makes him beyond valuable to our organization.
Heather Peffer 2021 - Quarter 2
The Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management proudly awards, Heather Peffer, as the Employee of the Quarter for the 2021 year.
Heather has been a loyal member of the EH&S staff since 2003. She continues to excel in numerous key functions for EH&S, including triage of concerns forwarded to EH&S, safety training, safety audits of laboratories, and support of the EH&S website and the new electronic lab management tool.
She remains quick to volunteer for new assignments and exceeds expectations for completing those assignments.
Notably, her stellar representation of the EH&S Department has led to numerous applicants from across the University seeking to join the EH&S team. Many of these applicants have gone on to successfully serve in EH&S positions. During the pandemic, Heather successfully lead a Pandemic Safety Ambassador Network of 245 staff members from over 100 departments across the entire University.
EH&S is proud to honor Heather for her outstanding service through this recognition as Employee of the Quarter in the Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management.
Sergeant Kevin McDowell 2021 - Quarter 3
The Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management proudly awards, Sergeant Kevin McDowell, as Employee of the Quarter for the 2021 year.
Kevin has been with the department since August 1996. Kevin is a solid, consistent performer who also is a leader on SERT (Special Emergency Response Team). He often steps up to help the shift out when needed.
Sergeant McDowell was recently issued a Letter of Commendation for his response to an emergency call involving a suicidal female. Sergeant McDowell took swift action to rescue and provide mental health support and resources to help, placing the health and safety of others first.
Not only is Kevin a valued employee in our department but also an important member to the Pitt Community. His dedication and loyalty to the department and the University are much appreciated.